You Are What You Eat

I'm orange because of the carrot 
I ate in a magic garden. 
I should've heeded the sign that read, 
"You are what you eat. Harken!” 

Peas were the first I ate
Off twining vines in there, 
Until masses of snaking sprouts
Sprung up amidst my hair. 

Before my coiling locks 
Lashed me to a legume, 
I plucked tomatoes, yellow in color, 
Supposedly family heirloom. 

Alas, my golden glow 
Drew bees onto my skin.
I swatted madly, found a knife,
And opened a honeydew melon. 

I savored the sweetness inside
Until I doubled in scale. 
I went rolling. What could I do 
But stuff my cheeks with kale? 

Kale suggests well-being, 
But knobby skin’s atrocious. 
So I picked a red pepper, long and slender, 
Whose heat was quite ferocious. 

Aflame, I realized the hour
And pondered tomorrow with dread. 
Tapered and tall, orange suits me. 
What would you've chosen instead? 

Comments