Enneagram 3's Demand for Value

How dare you treat me like that!
Don't you know what I've been through?
Listen and I will tell you.

I have years of experience—
I know the exact number
For I've kept careful count.
And in all those years
I've gathered knowledge
And wisdom and understanding
And experience.

Experience, I tell you!
You have no right to speak,
If you haven't been through it,
And I've been through so much,
So hear me!
Respect me!
Esteem me!
Defer to my judgement!
Recognize my accomplishments!
Regard my opinion
For by your genuflection
I am brought to value.

And if you don't,
I'll keep my distance,
For I need all the favor
I can eek out of others
To limp on with some self-respect.

O God!
What have I become
That the disregard of a few
Should topple my strength
With such devastation?

I've forgotten once again
That I'm not what I do,
My degrees, or read books.
I'm not the discoveries of mind
Or this list of trials.
Rather I'm the weight equivalent
To Your son's life.

That alone gives me value.
The rest is not worth mentioning.

Comments