Dear God: I'm Praying. Please Do Not Disturb.


If I would ask the Lord
To change a nation
Change this church
Change that person;
But I have no stomach
To ask him to change me,
Am I not a rather
Blunted weapon?

If I would ask God
To heal my friend
Provide for their needs 
And fill them with peace;
But I never admit
My needs or inner illnesses,
Have I any acquaintance 
With God's power at all?

And if I would pray 
For the salvation of souls
For closed doors to be opened
And justice for the oppressed; 
But never ask God 
For my daily bread,
Have I any understanding 
Of life's substance at all?

If my conversations with God
Never discuss my mind's wanderings
Never name the emotions within
Never voice my rebellion
Never kick or scream
Never pierce the heart
Never draw tears of repentance
Never put me on my knees,
Then am I so sure
It's to God that I speak?

Comments