In the Presence of a Cop

A police car went through the carwash as my boys and I watched through the filmy plexiglass of Whittwood Car Wash. Lee and Benny were very excited to see it, and I was curious to see if any of the wash's flappy-spinners would catch on the police car's antennas. They didn't.

Shortly after the car went through, the policeman followed, and I suddenly remembered the sign at the carwash entrance that said, "Masks required for unvaccinated customers." 

We were not wearing masks nor were we vaccinated. The policeman's presence simply prompted me to consider my own contrary behavior and question my choices. Yes, I realize the carwash's sign was not a law, nor would the policeman probably have done much about us if he'd known we were not abiding by the sign's request. The policeman himself wasn't wearing a mask, and I highly doubt he was worried about whether we were vaccinated or not. 

The interesting point was simply that I became aware of my defiant behavior in the presence of an officer. Prior to his appearance, I hadn't thought twice about my obstinacy. 

I think this is true in many cases. I become aware of my writing's punctuation when Joanne Clark reads it because she has definite opinions about that sort of thing. I become self-conscious of my word-usage around linguists. I become concerned about my use of the Bible around pastors and Bible teachers. I become insecure about my parenting around mothers of five or more. 

You must know where this is going. Right?

We are the most aware of our sin in the presence of God and in the study of Jesus' life. 

Therefore, if we think we're pretty good in and of ourselves, we're probably not living in a close relationship with God. If the studying of Jesus' life and teachings doesn't convict us of our sin, we are probably using our study to satisfy some other lust for power or prestige or self-justification or hatred of others. And if spending time with God, doesn't bring us into a place of humility, we're probably spending time with an idol.

To be in God's presence naturally leads to a conviction of sin. I think that's why John the Baptist's message was "Repent for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand!" Being part of God's kingdom goes hand in hand with repentance. Not just once. But every time we draw near God. 

I also think repentance is closely linked with taking up our cross. We follow Christ by taking up our cross. We follow Christ by repenting. It's how we make space in our hearts for God's kingdom. Clear out the old life; make way for the new life. Draw near to the Lord, and simultaneous remember just how much our sin cost him. The result is humility and gratitude.


More on Repentance: Riding the Rails

Comments