Hints Thus Far

The following are several things that I've started doing that have helped keep my life simple and sweet.

Hint 1: Keep green onions in a jar of water by the window rather than in a plastic bag at the bottom of your refrigerator. They will last weeks this way. Change water every several days.

Hint 2: If you have citrus trees, make lime and lemon cubes when the fruit drops from the trees faster than you can eat them.

Hint 3: Never chop up just one onion. Chop up several and keep them in the freezer. Be sure to label the onion sizes on the outside of the ziplock bags.

Hint 4: Schedule your dinners for a month. Make a list of all the ingredients you need, and make one major shopping trip each month. Meals are flexible; move them as your plans change.

Hint 5: Decorations need not cost a cent. Collect seed pods, rocks, colorful leaves, berries, and branches to arrange and liven up your home.

Hint 6: Remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy.

Hint 7: If you aren't going to remember something, write it down. I keep a little red book with me where ever I go. My mom keeps her palm pilot. Phil keeps his phone. If I remember something (instructions for my students, groceries I need to buy, an errand to run, a bill to pay, a gift idea) I put it into the notebook to prevent the idea from escaping into oblivion.

Hint 8: Read children's books and never forget what it was like to be a child.

Hint 9: Unless you want to find little white worms crawling across your ceiling, throw all raw meat items into the outside trash can.

Hint 10: Use baking soda and vinegar to clean. It's cheaper, non-toxic, and work just as well.

Hint 11: Maintain a wardrobe of colors that never go out of style: kaki, black, white, and gray. If you hate being a plain jane, accessorize with color and style.

Hint 12: Memorize scripture. Make God's thoughts your thoughts. I keep a laminated chapter in my pocket and I pull it out whenever I start worrying about something.

Hint 13: When criticism start bubbling in your mind, and your mouth is about to pop, say a compliment instead and see what happens.

Hint 14: Keep old herb jars for quick salad dressing bottles. My favorite mix contains: one lemon cube from the freezer, twice as much olive oil, a pinch of salt, and garlic salt. I put the top on the jar and shake! Mmmm

Hint 15: Save empty peanut butter, pickle, and jam jars. Wash them well, then use them to tote soup to work—you won't have to worry about any toxins when you heat it up in the micro. I also use my jars to give people cookies or candy.

Hint 16: Put an empty pail under the shower head while you're waiting for the water to heat up. Use the water after your shower to water plants.

Hint 17: Plant a lemon tree and name him Lehman. Here's Phil transplanting Lehman from his jar into a pot outside.

Comments