Comstock Chronicles: Can You Believe We Get to Live This Life?

January to June is my favorite time of year. About this time, I start taking pictures of gorgeous flowering trees. I'm determined one day to make a post featuring a tree for every month. January would be the Saucer Magnolia. February would be the Ornamental Pear. March would be the Pink Trumpet tree. 

Maybe one day I'll do it.

Today, it's potty training and birthday planning, laundry and finances and shuttling people places. If I have a spare moment, maybe I'll kill some flies and feed them to the chickens who have begun laying eggs. 

The chickens are such a source of delight for me and Phil these days. We let them out of their coop every once in awhile and they scratch the piles of avocado leaves and peck at things. When they're lonely, they hop up the brick stairs outside our bedroom where Phil has his office. There, they bock at him and peck the screen. We bock back. I pet them a bit, but they don't seem too keen on petting. Benny is the only child unafraid of the chickens. He'll go after them with a stick or a gentle out-held hand. 

Potty training is coming along. We also planted our garden just the other day. This is the first year that Lee prepared the dirt and the first year that I'm trying lettuce from seed. I hope it works. Inspired by the BBC's Gardener's World, I've also potted up various free plants and compost volunteers. It's a surprising hobby. I never know what I'll get next. I've got several plants growing that I still don't know what they are. I carefully removed them from the compost and put them in a pot so I can watch their progress more closely. 

In regards to the human seedlings, they never cease to delight and/or bring me to my knees. The other day Lee and Benny were marching through the house singing sweetly to an old fashioned hymn about having Jesus in the house. Lee has begun a self-defense/martial arts class. Rose will be performing in her school play Aristocats in April. And Benny enjoys preschool and Vallarta ginger piggies. Rose has brought home Student of the Month and Hawk's Character Award. I find this a relief to know she's well behaved for someone. Lee on the other hand has acquired his fair share of yellow slips, but is quick to apologize, make amends, and submit to disciple at home. What a funny mixture of little people I have!

Kids pretend to be baby birds

I get the privilege of holding them and celebrating with them and teaching them about God's ways. Rose draws me sweet pictures that call me the best mommy planter. Lee likes to explore the world of "what-if's." And Benny still relishes snuggles and helping me around the house. 

On this breezy Sunday afternoon, as Phil and I bought a pie to celebrate the first day of spring and as we returned home from fellowship with dear people who encourage and pray for us, we were just reflecting: What a life we get to live!



Comments