Dead Plants in the Background

I began to garden in earnest after watching the BBC's Gardener's World. During COVID, the program had viewers send in video tours of their gardens. These tours were a great encouragement to me because they featured everyday people growing very ordinary plants in small spaces.

I recall seeing in the background of one viewer's video tour a potted plant that was dead. That's when I thought, "Hey, I can do that!" And thus my gardening hobby took off. 

The dead plant gave me permission to fail, and it's a good thing because I have killed quite a few plants. 

Don't you often feels the same when reading the Bible? It's like watching a show about how to live well, and in the background are all these people with dead morals. Sometimes, they're not in the background at all. They're front and center. 

It's a comfort to know that it's okay to fail. Perfection is not expected here. We can pursue godliness in earnest now. If God could make something of their morally-dead lives, he can certainly make a thriving garden out of me.



Comments