My Hope is Found on Nothing Less

I could self-soothe with the illogical
Probability of contracting
A virus that threatens the elderly,
Or declaring myself low risk.
But then, I close my eyes to God's
Wielding of chance and uncertainty.

I could rely upon my own thoroughness
Of washing packaging and the cleanliness
Of hands, which rarely leave this house
So air-tight and fortress-like as it is.
But then, I assign myself the power
And outcomes God alone rightly determines.

I could keep joy alive in distraction,
Flippancy towards news and others' fear,
Busying mind and body with comedy
And lists of projects awaiting completion.
But then, I plug my ears to God's invitation
To join in the exchange of compassion.

I could awaken hope, remembering
Humanity's resilience to war
Disease and famines, and how
Before we know it, this too will pass.
But then, I miss the Spirit's companionship
In discovering glorious messages in today's mess.

I could declare myself safe and blameless
Of catching this COVID-19
By following authoritative advice
And measuring my every effort.
But then, I misplace my respect and goodness,
Not upon the only qualified one to bear them,
That is, Jesus' blood and righteousness.











"I will praise the Lord all my life;
    I will sing praise to my God as long as I live.
Do not put your trust in princes,
    in human beings, who cannot save.
When their spirit departs, they return to the ground;
    on that very day their plans come to nothing.
Blessed are those whose help is in the God of Jacob,
    whose hope is in the Lord their God.
He is the Maker of heaven and earth,
    the sea, and everything in them—
    he remains faithful forever."
                                                 -Psalm 146:2-6

Comments