Breathing


Yesterday's breaths
Are gifts I've forgotten
While looking for today's allotment
And finding that what
I thought was my due
Is yet another grace 
From you.

It's your breath in my lungs
That I spent like petty cash.
These borrowed diamonds
I squirreled away
Were gifts from your generous hand.

But do you delight in giving
When greedy lungs forget to give thanks?
Do you desire to relieve labor
When requests turn into demands? 
Or do you withhold as we panic
Fearing you a capricious god? 

No, Heaven's bank verily bursts
With the reimbursement
For my careless spending,
As all my breaths are numbered
Against Christ, breathing on my behalf.
He forever payed all I hoarded,
Ten thousand more than I took
Now spent unto his father instead.

So should God give me more today,
Even more to this rebel ingrate, 
May I rejoice that there's enough for me
And there was yesterday too.

Comments