Advent's First Sunday: Hope

If I hope that one day we'll finish all the repairs on our house, then my hope will last for as long as the paint doesn't peel. But if I hope that in keeping up our home, I mimic God's way of bringing things to order and thus bring him glory; and by keeping this house functional, I pass on God's protection to my children; and by the monotony and repetition of home repairs, God grows my perseverance and endurance, then my hope will last regardless of the condition of my house or the state of my wallet.

If I hope that we'll soon get through this candy-stealing phase or lip-biting phase or refusal-to-use-our-toilet-but-will-use-the-bushes-as-a-toilet phase, then my hope will last only until the next unsociable or unhealthy behavior appears. But if I hope that in each phase, God has some new grace to give to me to pass along to my children; and in the sifting through solutions, God is teaching me more about his wisdom; and that my implementing temporary solutions is just echoing his eternal solution, then my hope will continue regardless of the progression of my children's maturity.

If I hope that eventually I'll get my energy back and my sense of smell and the strength I once had to rock climb, then my hope lasts until my next illness. But if I hope that in exercising, I praise God who made my body to work as well as it does; and that in continued excellence in cooking I can take joy in my family's sense of smell and taste; and in attempting new sports, I still believe that God has something new to teach me, then my hope will remain strong even as my body weakens.

If I hope that someday someone will find me out and publish my work, then my hope lasts only until the publicity dies down and everyone moves on. But if I hope that God is using what I write in secret and unseen ways; and that I follow his art of creation by creating art of my own; and that he will see me published if and when he deems right, then my hope remains regardless of praise or recognition.

If I hope that this Christmas will finally be peaceful and simple, then my hope lasts until I pick up the children from school or walk into a department store. But if I hope that my witnessing of the children's excitement and toy-wishing will remind me of how I hope for my Lord Jesus; and that the excess of clutter and sweets and decorations and toys cannot touch the peace that God gives me in the midst of a seemingly chaotic atmosphere; and that the American Christmas in God's hand is used to refine and grow me just as much as pastoral scenes and quiet afternoons, then my hope sustains me through the noise and excess.

And if I hope that Jesus returns before this country persecutes Christians and before World War III breaks out and before I have to go through the unpleasant process of growing old, then my hope will last until the next report of disaster. But if I hope that the Lord's mercy lasts even through moral depravity; and that through each new disaster or unjust ruler, more and more people will have a chance to seek God; and that my prayers in old age may bring more people into God's Kingdom than any of my youthful strivings, then my hope will last until the day I go home to be with Jesus and I get to meet all the people my prayers reached and his patient mercy waited for.

More on Advent: PeaceJoyLove

More on Hope: Hoping to Land of the Right Island

Comments