Advent's Third Sunday: Joy

Where is the joy in have-to's? In should's and ought's and must's?  In making myself treat others fairly or forcing myself to give up what I want for the sake of someone else? 

And if I don't do these things, if I refuse to succumb to the pressure of these should's and ought's, where is the joy in the guilt that comes next? Where is the joy in looming consequences or sapped resources or spoiled reputations? If suffering awaits me if I don't perform my duties, then do I have any choice? No. I must do it or else . . . So the joy within me dies for I am like a slave to should’s and ought's or the fear of what might happen if I don’t.

Then came Jesus. And he grew up doing everything he ought to, doing it willingly and with joy. But Jesus wasn't ruled by those should's and ought's. He did, in his heart of hearts, what he wanted, and what he wanted was also what God wanted because he was God. How could he have done it otherwise?

His birth marked the beginning of the end of our slavery to have-to's. And his life gave to God all the should's and ought's that we keep trying to do but don't really want to.  

Now joy has a chance. 

For at the end of every have-to and ought comes an I-can't, there's-no-way, it's-impossible. And in that dark hopelessness, that void that feels like hell itself, Jesus says, "But I can. And if you believe that I can, I will through you too."

Where once we felt like we had to, now we find that we not only can but want to. The should's and ought's have lost their power, and in their place God plants his desires. They have taken seed. They are growing. Every time we come to the end of ourselves and confess that we can't but Jesus can, God's joy grows. It grows and grows. That is the great joy for all people in all circumstances at all times. 


More on Advent: PeaceLoveHope

Comments