"I Could Never Do That."

Whenever we endeavor to do something new, we usually consider our capabilities. 

Do I have enough endurance to bike all the way to the beach and back? Should I have someone pick me up at the beach in case I'm too tired to bike home. Do I have enough money right now to buy a new dryer? If not, maybe I could buy a used dryer on offer-up.

This is just common sense. It's also a good survival technique. 

If I don't think I have enough time to make dinner for a mom who just had a baby, I don't commit to helping. If I don't think I have the courage to speak in front of people, I don't. If I don't think I could tolerate going to a party with unknown people, then I don't go to the party.

However, when we believe in Jesus, we learn how to look at situations with a new self-assessing strategy. We no longer ask if we have the strength or courage or money or know-how, but rather, we ask God if he has the strength or courage or money or know-how for us in this situation.

After sharing in front of an audience, several people have told me that they they could never share in front of people like that. It seems a funny thing to say. Of course if they were to share in front of an audience, they would do it in their own particular way, but I don't think that's what they mean. I think they mean they wouldn't be caught dead speaking into a microphone in front of people. 

Perhaps they believe that I have some special courage or ability or calling to share in front of people. Or perhaps they are just recognizing that God is present. Yes, God is present. Something special is happening here. The specialness though is not in my ability but God's. He's doing it. I don't think my stage fright is any different than anyone else's stage fright.

The Lord could use people who seem even more broken than me to speak. He could use a man with a stutter, aka Moses. He could use a guy who persecuted Christians, aka Paul. He could use someone who flat out said "No way!" aka Jonah. I actually think God delights to show his power in our areas of weaknesses.

Thus, if I hate being in the limelight, it would be silly for me to say that God would never put me on stage, or if I get hives in hot conditions that God would never have me work in the Sahara Desert. God is able to do far more than we ever imagined or thought possible.

But do we believe it? Do we still rely upon our own self-assessments when making decisions?

We might believe that God can do some great work through someone else, but we don't believe God could do it through us. We think our education or stage fright or our finances are too pathetic for God to use. We have faith, but not faith that works for ourselves. Can such a faith save someone?

"There are those who are kept back from serving by the thought of their lack of ability, and do not remember that [God's] strength gives power in weakness. They are like invalids who, though they have recovered from their disease and are taking nourishing food, yet remain weak because they do no work and take no proper exercise. What such believers need is that they should put their trust in [God] and set out to save sinners from destruction." (Sadhu Sundar Singh, At the Master's Feet)

What a neat place church would be if we came believing that God would give us the strength to share our stories to one another no matter how seemingly simple or dramatic they were, that God would supply the courage to confess to others that we've been wrong without fearing for our reputation, that God would give us the ability to pray out loud even if we don't know what to say and that God would give us the wisdom to lead and the power to defer.  

God has provided these things to many believers already. Do we believe he has them for us too?

Comments