Finding Rebekah (Part I)

        
Rebekah at the Well
painting by Michael Deas 1995


You recall the story of Rebekah:                            
The servant, the oath, the camels, the spring,       
How aged Abram had buried Sarah
And knowing his own time was expiring,
He summoned his oldest servant to swear           
To find his dear son a wife of Promise            
Back home in Mesopotamia where
Abram left family to wander homeless
Seventy years like a nomad abroad        
To Harran, Egypt and the Great Trees of Mamre  
Leaving behind kin by order of God.   
Consequently, who would Isaac marry?

Such a task filled the man with holy dread      
Rousing questions about how and what if         
No lady would agree to return to wed
Isaac, the son of the long lost relative.

Thusly, Abraham himself relented                    
Saying that if no one was willing to come    
Then the oath need not be contended,
Only do not take Isaac from home.

So the servant went with camels manned,       
Gifts and provisions for the task ahead     
Back to Aram Nahariam, the land                
Where family stayed after Terah died.     

In those weeks of travel, the servant must                
Have practiced the story that he would tell            
To his master's kin, explaining this quest         
To earn their trust so that all would go well.       

Again and again, the words through his mind
Til perhaps overwrought at Nahor town,    
He asked God one evening for a sign,          
By a well with his camels kneeling down.                
                                                                                  
"God of my master," was the prayer on his breath,              
"I'm weary of wondering and worrying each day,
'Where might she live? What shall be said?'  
Show me the one you've appointed, I pray."

"Grant me success today through this test.                        
May the one I ask for a drink from her jug,     
Who offers to draw for my camels at rest
Be the one you've chosen for Isaac to wed.
Then when these events unfold 'fore my eyes        
I shall know your kindness to my master."                
Thus he prayed with evening drawing in the skies 
Golden colors upon the women come for water.


Comments

Anonymous said…
next sentence: “laden with pottery and french fries”
-Phil
Thank you for linking part 2 with part 1.
I've come to view God's M.O. modus operandi as one of overarching Process, Logistics, and Details. I've experienced it repeatedly in my walk with the Lord and observed it from Genesis through Revelation.

This is exactly what the account of the servant seeking a wife for Isaac demonstrates.