Using Our Imaginations

When I was younger and more limber, I used to do tricks off the diving board. Before trying a back flip with a twist, I would imagine myself doing it. I would do the movements in miniature version while closing my eyes and seeing myself do the trick.

This is something many athletes do: imagine what they need to do before doing it. I remember my swim coach used to have us lay on the concrete to imagine ourselves at an upcoming swim meet. He'd have us imagine ourselves stepping up onto the stand, preparing for the buzzer, leaping off the block, hitting the water and doing a particular stroke across the pool.

I'm pretty sure this is a healthy way to use the imagination. I'm also pretty sure we can imagine ourselves doing what is right and good and beautiful to better participate in Christ's Kingdom. 

For example, if I have to make an apology to my kids, I can imagine myself doing it beforehand, and it makes the doing of it easier. I can imagine myself getting cash out of my wallet to give to the homeless person, and this might make me less suspicious and unwilling when it's the appropriate time to give someone cash. I can imagine myself planning fun activities for my kids this summer, which by the way is something I don't enjoy doing, and it makes the planning a little less difficult for me.

This concept could apply to any number of things we know we need to do or ought to do or wish we could do but don't do. We could imagine ourselves doing them. I could imagine myself reading a fun book and not feeling guilty about it. I could imagine myself doing medical paperwork and completing it. I could imagine myself in a calm state while my children are making a fuss. I could imagine myself unfazed by someone's pedantic speech.

I don't mean to say that escaping into our imaginations is the key to obeying Christ. Certainly the point of imagining is to then do it. I also don't think that imagining good actions will take up too much time, at least not for me. I already use my imagination quite frequently but in less healthy ways.

I have a feeling others do the same.

I use my imagination thinking about the terrible things that might happen or wishing for things that can't happen or gloating about putting someone in their place through my brilliant arguments. These sorts of musings do us no good. They are not a rehearsal for acting like Christ, nor are they actually preparing us for anything real.

There's no point beating ourselves up for this though. Jesus died to give us plenty of space and grace for messing up. God isn't ashamed of us. 

But the point IS to start practicing healthy imaginings. 

Comments

Victoria Alexanian said…
I used to tell my patients to imagine walking again, or practicing a new way of walking, to program their brains to help make the necessary changes. Muscle habits are powerful just like our bad habits or conditioned responses and it takes time to retrain, but using the imagination to help the process was usually very effective.
Oh! Another area where using our imaginations is used. Fascinating! Thanks for sharing, Vicki.