Vicariously Smelling Roses


We visited the Huntington Library and gardens this past week, and the roses were in bloom. My children and husband rushed from one set of blooms to the next sniffing them. I did the same until I realized I really couldn't smell anything. I haven't regained my sense of smell since having COVID. It seemed futile to continue trying to smell roses. 

I was sorry for myself for a bit until I saw a brightly-dressed African American woman breathing deeply of a huge peach bloom and exclaiming, "Oh, the spices!" to no one in particular. I chuckled to myself, enjoying her enjoyment and imagining what a spicy rose might smell like.

Suddenly, the rose garden had new pleasures to offer. I stopped looking at the roses and started looking at the people enjoying the roses. And I wonder if my experience of witnessing their delight was an even greater pleasure than smelling the roses myself. And might this be true of other pleasures that I can't experience because of age or strength or life circumstances? 

The world has grown bigger and its delights multiplied.


More on delighting in life: Prayer With Thanksgiving

Comments