Comstock Chronicles: Making the Most of It

Summer 2021 until the summer of 2022 was a year of answered prayers, miracles, encouragement, and forward momentum in telling others about what God had been teaching me. But since then, we've had a season of illness.

We've been sick over and over again. All of us in a row multiple times. In August it was COVID. In October, we had, I believe, RSV with fever and chills and aches. I had two other colds in there as well, sore throat, coughing, very little energy. The repetition of these things makes me second guess my immune system. I seem to catch everything the children get. Sometimes a child doesn't catch it, but I do. Sometimes Phil doesn't catch it, but I do. Lee just started sneezing again this morning.

I make plans and lists of things to accomplish. I workout and build-up stamina and then BAM! It's back to bed and resting and waiting. Waiting. Waiting. Waiting. I cancel the plans, try to soothe the children's disappointment as we have to say no and stay at home without visitors. No church. No school. No Wednesday Night church. It's all very depressing. I've felt like God is waiting for me to get better so he can work with me again like he did last summer. I too have been waiting to get better so I could work with God again.

But something struck me during this last cold, which took us out for Thanksgiving break. The revelation came in the midst of reading Joni Eareckson Tada's book A Lifetime of Wisdom. If I'm always waiting to be well before living my life, then the times when I'm ill become times of non-living. Why not learn to live right now with illness to the best that I am able?

Living with illness. Now there's a phrase I've heard people say. 

I may be waiting to get better before I join God's work, but God isn't waiting. He's working right now in my illness. And there's no reason why I can't join him in my weakness. I can love my children while resting on the couch. I can write up another newsletter to my neighbors so long as I don't have fog brain. I can pray for my family and friends while doing breathing treatment in a steamy bathroom. And I can plan next weeks gatherings even if I do have to cancel them later. 

I can be fully present in my illness when I believe the Lord is working right now even when I don't have any energy to do much. I may be still, but he's still working. He's still has goodness for me. And my hope is in his goodness not my wellness.

So, Thanksgiving break happened while we were ill. And you know what, it was lovely!


Trader Joe's Gingerbread House. They like eating all the sweets off it.
Carbon Canyon Regional Park with Grandma and Grandpa Stevens and Emma Himes.

Our Thanksgiving lunch feast with back house neighbors. They weren't afraid of catching our colds. Rose and Phil decorated the table. We had bacon wrapped sausage, two kinds of fries, baked apples with cream, sweet potato casserole, home-made bread with avocado, and fresh veggies. It was amazing!

Kids on their mattress vehicle.

A Domino-block creation that they made one morning.

Phil found two discarded skateboards on a scavenger walk with the kids and they've been a big hit.


 


Comments

jgd said…
Abby, I was so happy to see all three kids on their skateboards, few days ago. I pray for you every day. Hang in there.
I remember walking around on tip toes when we were little while my Mom rested on the couch. She had terribly painful varicose leg veins and all we could do was try to be quiet.
She eventually had the treatment called stripping. It helped a lot. I know there are many new treatments now.

Your current suffering reminds me of hers.
I know you already know this, but take as much Vit C as your doctor allows. It will help you.

I keep ny distance from most people, not because I am afraid of catching something, but to not be a carrier of anything.
Blessings on all of you.