Isaiah 44:9-22 The Social Media Version


Isaiah 44:9-22 The Social Media Version

9      All who live to obtain "likes" and "views" are nothing,
            and the things they treasure are worthless.
        Those who live to be entertained are whim-followers;
            they are ignorant of what lasts forever.
10    Who gathers followers or clicks all the bait
            that satisfies but an instant?
11     People who do that will rise and fall;
            such flashes in the pan lose their souls.
        Let them all come together and feed into each other;
            they will create fluff and consume it.

12    The social-media addict films his ideas
            and edits his clips;
            he shapes a video with special effects,
            he forms it with the creativity of his mind.
         He grows hungry for praise and ignores his other needs;
            he lives to check his status, and grows faint when no one responds.
13    The gamer measures his work day
            and makes a time for his entertainment;
            he gets his duties out of the way 
            and sets his heart's compass toward screens.
         He shapes his soul to want more and more,
            more achievements unlocked, 
            that it may satisfy his yearnings.
14     He cuts out socials,
            or perhaps he avoids commitments or chores.
            He lets RSVP's expire,
            or ignores his family, but his void grows.
15     He burns up his time;
            some, he uses scrolling and clicking anything he wants,
            he feeds his heart's fire with gasoline.
            But he might also fashion a persona and tempt others to worship it;
            he makes himself an idol for others to bow down to.
16     Half of his time he burns with scrolling;
            giving in to his appetites,
            he roasts his enemies and consumes all titillations.
            He also soothes himself and says,
            “Ah! Look how many points I got; I accomplished something.”
17     For the rest of his time, he makes himself a god, an idol;
            he asks others to adore him.
            He prays to them and says,
            “Subscribe! You are my fans!”
18     They know nothing, they understand nothing;
            their eyes are plastered over so they cannot see,
            and their minds closed so they cannot understand.
19     No one stops to think,
            no one has the knowledge or understanding to say,
            “Half my time, I consume other's posts;
            I even comment and like their movies,
            I contribute to their ratings.
            Why shouldn't I receive favorable ratings in return?
            Shall I get back what I give?”
20     Such a person feeds on ashes; a deluded heart misleads him;
            he cannot save himself, or say,
            “Is not this consuming life a lie?”

21     “Remember these things, Sons and Daughters of God,
            for you, New Israel, are my children.
            I have made you to find contentment in me;
            Israel, I will not leave you this way.
22     I have swept away your offenses like a reboot,
            your sins like last years viral videos.
            Return to me,
            for I have redeemed your time.”

More on Gaming: Lost in the Games

Comments