The Funny Things They Do and Say

Benny showed me his hangnail, but he quickly followed it up with, "But don't snip it off. I want to keep it for . . . for . . . for . . ." And then he began to sing the months of the year song.

Lee and Rose were taking turns playing a wooden-peg game in the kitchen. The game involved hopping pegs in an attempt to have the fewest pegs remaining. Rose was up and Lee was looking over her shoulder when he announced he needed to use the restroom. I spotted him leaving the room and then ducking down behind our living room buffet table. He then snuck back into the kitchen and spied on Rose playing by herself to see if she was cheating, which of course, being the opportunist, she was. "Hey! You can't do that!" Lee shouted over her shoulder. Rose screamed, having been utterly startled and then burst into laughter. "You scared me!"

Benny when he notices I'm watching him pretend something: "Mama, can you not see me?"

I was listening to "God Help the Outcasts" song from Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and at the line where Esmeralda sings that she's not sure God would listen to an outcast, Rose says, "Of course, God will listen to you." I then explained that there was a time when people thought that God only cared about those who attended church. "When was that?" she asked me. "The 1980's?" I chuckled and then she laughed at herself too as she has some knowledge of eras now. "Not the 1980's" she giggled, correcting herself. "The 1980's was when you had cassette tapes and made skid marks."

The children were setting the table. Benny was handing forks to Rose, but upon second inspection of one fork, he withheld it aloft and announced. "This fork has a booger on it.

Benny came in from playing out in the backyard. "I dusted off my bum bum, Mama," he reports. "It's like giving myself a spanking."

We had Lee and Rose test out a wrestling class one day. Before going in Rose asked me, "Mama, if we win, do we show off our muscles?"

On the car ride to the kids summer Seahorse Soccer camp, Lee lifts up his shirt and wrinkles his stomach skin. He shows Rose.

"That's inappropriate," Rose says.

"No it's not," I say. We discuss boys and having their shirts off and where it's appropriate to show one's tummy. It's not appropriate to show your tummy at a wedding. It's appropriate to show your tummy at the beach.

"What about a beach wedding?" Rose asks.

The big kids were reenacting a conversation they had a long time ago. Benny attempted to explain what he was saying in that conversation and Rose quickly straightened him out. "You weren't born then," she said.

"I was in Mama's tummy," Benny says.

"No," Lee said. "You weren't even made."

"I was dead," Benny replies.

Comments