Enneagram 7: Now is the Next Best Thing


To the next!
To the next!
If I don't like this song,
I'll skip to the next.
When the kids move out,
We'll use the bedroom for guests.
When all three are in school
I'll be less stressed,
Earn extra cash,
Catch up on projects,
Be less perplexed.

But that's far in the future.
Summer's Family Camp is more sure.
And until then I can endure
For there's a dine-around in a week to savor
And tomorrow's church service. That's sooner.

I see it all like a mirage in the distance.
It's why I must push through these dishes,
This bedtime routine and their Christmas,
Because the present brings me no joy
Like my hopes for the future do.

This here is repetitive.
This here is irritating.
This here is cluttered.
This here is boring.
I don't know what to do now.
So I plan for later.

Oh God, help me!
I confess
My hope is in the next.
I've believed that hurrying my steps
Would protect me from the now and its effects.

I want to believe that You have joy for me now
In the midst of this incomplete and half-baked dough.
So give me courage to stay in the pain somehow
For there, Your goodness and joy You endow.

Comments