The Enneagram Number's Views on Cooperating Within a Group

One: the Reformer

I don't see why cooperating is difficult for some people? It's not difficult for me. It's what we're supposed to be doing. All people have to do is make themselves do the right thing. It's not that hard.

Two: the Helper

I am 100% for helping others achieve their dreams and ideas. I'm your number one supporter because I probably know better than you how to go about achieving your fullest potential. And I will sacrifice the shirt off my back to see it happen. Never mind, if that means overstepping my or your boundaries. The ends justifies the means.

Three: the Achiever

I'm all for cooperation. In fact the more people I can get to join me in my idea, the better! It's wonderful! I love it when I've got the support and affirmation of a group. But if I have to join someone else and support them in their ideas . . . well, that's a little tougher, especially if they're not open to my ideas of how it could be even better. 

Four: the Individualist

If I'm just cooperating with what everyone else is doing how will I know I'm unique? How will anyone know that I'm not just one of the crowd, a run-of-the-mill no one! I'm not a robot. I'm different! And I must show the world that I am! So I can't cooperate!

Five: the Observer

I'm not opposed to cooperation, but first I want to see how it's working out for everyone else. And if it seems to be a good idea, and I've explored all the reasons behind the activity, then I may join in, but only if no one is pressuring me to do it.

Six: the Loyalist

Yes, let's all obey that leader and do this together. Submitting to that authority is what makes societies a safe place. But don't ask me to lead this machine. I don't know what's best. I'd have to research my hiney off before knowing what to do.

OR

If someone tells me to just cooperate, that's my cue to say, "No!" and "Why should I trust you and your leadership?" The world is full of untrustworthy people and I shall not fall prey to their tricks even if that means I must go against the flow.

Seven: the Enthusiast

Cooperation is what makes the world go around. Yes! Let's all cooperate together! Let's go on vacation together! Let's plan a party! Let's go tour a museum! Let's do some missions work! But if you want me to cooperate in a difficult discussion or in moments involving tears or tense unhappy conversations, I think I'll just be the official subject-changer or joke-maker.

Eight: the Challenger

Unless I'm leading, I'm not very interested in cooperating. Other people can do what they want and that's fine for them, but no one can make me be a part of their program. Or if I do join an organization, you can be sure I'm going to find the chink in the armor.

Nine: the Peacemaker

It's really not that hard to cooperate with a group. That's pretty much what I've been doing my whole life. To go with the flow is the path of least resistance and that sounds like the most pleasantest journey for me. You don't have to do what I do. You choose your own path.

More on Why Enneagram Numbers: Won't GiveShow They CareMight EvangelizeDidn't Listen to YouHurryQuarantineHandle Icky FeelingsWon't Say These ThingsAsk for Help, & The Gospel for Each Number

Photo credit: <a href="https://stocksnap.io/photo/working-together-DKO3B7QNG7">Photo</a> by <a href="https://stocksnap.io/author/kristinhardwick">Kristin Hardwick</a> on <a href="https://stocksnap.io">StockSnap</a>

Comments