The Enneagram Number's Troubles With the Gospel

One: the Reformer

"But if Jesus is my righteousness, then what am I supposed to do? Whatever I want? That's not right. God must expect me to do something."

Two: the Helper

"I don't think I have any trouble with the gospel. It's other people who have troubles. And I want those troubled people to know that I would sacrifice myself body and soul for them any day."

Three: the Achiever

"I just can't believe that I have to do NOTHING to gain God's acceptance. Certainly, there must be something."

"But if I don't win God's favor, how will I know that he likes me?"

Four: the Individualist

"But how can God understand and love me when I don't even understand and love myself?"

"I'd rather not be a Christian at all if I have to be just like everyone else—an ordinary sinner saved by grace, that is."

Five: the Observer

"I don't understand how all the aspects of salvation are supposed to work. And how am I supposed to believe it, if I don't understand it? I just don't know enough yet."

Six: the Loyalist

"But what is going to happen if I place all my trust in Jesus? What will God make happen next? What if I can't handle it?"

Seven: the Enthusiast

"I'm totally into the resurrection and spreading the good news to all people! It's just the parts about sin and death and guilt that I don't want to think about. Most Christians are big kill-joys anyways."

Eight: the Challenger

"I have had to fight tooth-and-nail for everything, and I don't see how the Gospel could be an exception. There are no exceptions. Anyone who gives you something for free is just trying to manipulate you. After all, God only helps those who help themselves."

Nine: the Peacemaker

"Oh, I understand the gospel. I just don't think it really has to involve me personally. It can all happen without my participation."

How each Enneagram Number might accept the Gospel: The Gospel for Each Number

Comments